Dayschool: Trump’s US, Venezuela & the New Latin America
Trump’s US, Venezuela & the New Latin America – ‘Regime Change’ up the agenda? A dayschool on understanding the resurgent Right in Latin America
Saturday March 11, 11.—17.00, 49-60 Borough Road, London, SE1 1DR
With: H.E. Ambassador Rocio Maniero, Venezuela // Julia Felmanas, Workers’ Party of Brazil // Gabriel Rodriguez, International Transport Workers Federation, Argentina // Marcos Garcia, former Venezuelan Trade Union leader
And: Richard Gott, writer and journalist // Marina Prentoulis, Syriza & University of East Anglia // Chris Williamson, Labour Friends of Progressive Latin America // Stephanie Kennedy, former Telesur English journalist // Lindsey German, Stop the War // Dr. Francisco Dominguez, Head of Latin American Studies, Middlesex University // Pablo Navarrete, filmmaker & Alborada.Net // Helen Yuill, Nicaragua Solidarity Campaign // Kate Hudson, Campaign for Nuclear Disarnament // Georgia Platman, former Telesur English journalist and more special guests to be confirmed.
The current situation regarding Venezuela and progress in Latin America more widely is very serious, especially with the election of Donald Trump as US President and the resurgence of the Right in the region. This event will take an in-depth look at the current situation in different countries, the regional context and the threats facing progressive change, with discussions on topics such as:
- The Empire Strikes Back? US intervention & NATO in Latin America
- The Age of the ‘Soft Coup’? The resurgent Right, its tactics & nature
- Understanding the media and the right-wing resurgence
- The reality of Venezuela’s right-wing opposition – undemocratic & neo-liberal
- The coup in Brazil & the neo-liberal onslaught in Brazil & Argentina
- Repression and Resistance – Paraguay & Honduras after the coups
- Ecuador after February’s elections
- Lessons of Chile and Nicaragua – US intervention & destabilisation
Kindly supported by Thompsons Solicitors
You can also register by cheque for £7 (£5 unwaged) payable to Venezuela Solidarity Campaign c/o VSC, Unite London & Eastern, 33-37 Moreland Street, EC1V 8BB.